Year 3 at Waverley - For Ages 7-8 Yrs
Year 3 Overview
In Year 3, as pupils move into Key Stage 2 (KS2), they begin a more structured academic programme where pupils are also expected to take more responsibility for planning both their school work, homework and school day activities.
As well as a formal structured timetable with daily lessons of Maths and English, children will receive daily homework to be completed for the next day. Other curriculum subjects include French, Design and Technology (DT), Art, History, Geography, Science and RE. Children continue structured, teacher-monitored reading using the school's reading scheme. This scheme aims to develop a pupil's reading through sets of books based on their ability. Children are also encouraged to broaden their interests and develop their reading skills outside of the standard reading programme through daily reading practice of books that take their interest and capture their imagination.
Examples of work undertaken in the Year 3 curriculum includes:
- DT: Creating sculptures of the Giants from The BFG using mod roc and papier mâché.
- Art: Designing and personalising witches and wizards t-shirts to wear to the Harry Potter Studios using fabric paints and pens.
- Geography: Making a model from playdough to show the different layers inside the Earth.
- Science: Conducting experiments like using mirrors and torches to investigate reflections.
- RE: Learning about religions and faiths from around the world and understanding why religious celebrations are held, such as Christmas and Easter.
Inter-School Fixtures and Competitions
Pupils in Year 3 start taking part in sports fixtures against other local schools for football, cricket, rounders, netball, athletics and swimming galas.
Within school, all year 3 students participate in World Book Day, Maths Day Challenges, KS2 Christmas and Summer Productions, and also a Year 3 Assembly.
Year 3 take part in a variety of school trips which focus around aspects of the curriculum that they have been studying. Recent trips have included:
- The Roald Dahl Museum, Great Missenden
- The Harry Potter Studios, Watford
- The River and Rowing Museum and Boat Ride, Henley-on-Thames
- When the children are in either Year 3 or Year 4, they can the chance to participate in a 2-night residential trip, experiencing a wide range of indoor and outdoor activities such as wall climbing, abseiling, treetop rope courses and giant swings.
Curriculum Maps for Year 3
The Year 3 Valentine assembly. For more school photos, click here.